Duke Digital Health is always on the lookout for talented and driven people! See below for our current opportunities.
We post all open Center positions, including student internships, here.
Duke Global Digital Health Science Center
Clinical Research Specialist, Senior (CRS, Sr.)
The Duke Global Digital Health Science Center, part of the Duke Global Health Institute, seeks a full-time Clinical Research Specialist, Senior. to join our team of digital health, and obesity and chronic diseases researchers. Our mission is to close health disparities using digital health. We design, test, and disseminate effective digital health interventions to populations who need them most. We are guided by the hypothesis that ensuring access to critical health information and interventions in an increasingly connected global society will improve health outcomes and contain healthcare costs.
The CRS will assist with the day-to-day operations of clinical research studies conducted by center investigators and research staff on two weight-related digital health trials: Balance and Charge. The CRS will perform a variety of duties involved in the collection, compilation, documentation, and analysis of clinical research data, under the supervision of Clinical Research Coordinator (CRC). Specifically, the CRS will be responsible for assisting with the evaluation of management of participant weight, outcome and qualitative data; and assistance with publications and dissemination of results to key audiences, including local partners, conference presentations and peer-reviewed journals. The CRS will be an integral part of the team in our data monitoring, data management and dissemination activities for two weight-related trials: Balance and Charge.
Note: This is a 1-year grant-funded position, contingent upon continued funding.
Type of Research:
This position will assist with the day-to-day operations of clinical research studies conducted by center investigators and research staff, primarily on two weight-related digital health trials. The position will require performing a variety of duties including: assisting with the evaluation of management of participant weight, outcome and qualitative data; and assistance with publications and dissemination of results to key audiences, including local partners, conference presentations and peer-reviewed journals. The position will also require data collection for study visits and proper documentation of research data. This position will be an integral part of the team in our data cleaning, data management and dissemination activities for two weight-related trials. This position will report to the CRC and also support center needs from other team members.
- Experience or interest in a related field (e.g. nutrition/public health)
- Comfort and demonstrated competency with technology – i.e. working with electronic medical record and/or research management systems preferred
- Attention to detail and an ability to multitask to meet deadlines
- Background in literature reviews/academic writing preferred
- Ability to build rapport with variety of constituents and work with supervision and independently.
- Some flexibility in work schedule (evenings and weekends, occasionally)
Work requires an Associate’s degree.
One year of relevant experience. A Bachelor’s degree may substitute for required experience.
To apply, please email cover letter and CV/resume to Miriam Berger at email@example.com.
- Under supervision, may document some participant-level information for non-complex (e.g., questionnaire, data registry, scripted) studies outside of the EHR.
- Follows SOPs and strategies to manage and retain research subjects.
- Recruits research participants according to study protocol.
- Screens participants in person or over the phone for non-complex studies (e.g., questionnaire, data registry, scripted) or may collect information from the EHR to assist study team in determining eligibility.
- Follows SOPs.
- Under supervision, employs simple procedures for collecting, preparing, processing, shipping, and maintaining inventory of specimens.
- Assists with establishing and maintaining study level documentation. Schedules participants for research visits.
- Prepares necessary documents, equipment, supplies, etc. Conducts and documents non-complex visits and scripted testing or interviews.
- May manage participant payment.
- Participates in study team meetings.
- Recognizes known potential adverse events, identified in the protocol or investigator brochure, and reports to study team.
- Conducts and documents consent for participants in non-complex studies.
- Enters and collects basic data for research studies.
- May score scripted or validated tests and measures.
- Under supervision, corrects and documents incomplete, inaccurate or missing data for non-complex studies.
- Follows SOPs for quality assurance.
- Follows required processes, policies, and systems to ensure data security and provenance.
- Learns and uses new technology when required.
- Assists with or contributes to the development of funding proposals.
- May assist with simple literature searches under supervision from PI or CRC.
- Under guidance, develops sections of protocols for simple studies (e.g., registries, survey studies)
- Demonstrates a basic understanding of the elements of research study designs.
- Provides some contribution to scientific publications or presentations
Study and Site Management:
- Records participant accrual information and consent documentation for non-complex studies in clinical research management system.
- Records basic protocol information in clinical research management system.
- For studies with simple supplies or equipment, ensures that there are ample supplies and that equipment is in good working order.
- Follows protocol-specific systems and process flows.
- Works with the manager to understand areas of opportunity and develop a training plan.
- Takes training courses and applies the knowledge and skills. May also train others in the skills learned.
- Keeps current with research updates by attending key external departmental meetings
- Navigates processes and people involved in Duke clinical research, demonstrates the organizational awareness, and has the interpersonal skills necessary to get work done efficiently.
- Demonstrates resilience and is adaptive to change.
- Communicates with other study personnel as required for study implementation and routine problem resolution.
Persons of color and/or from underrepresented groups/identities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual’s age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.