Duke Digital Health is always on the lookout for talented and driven people!
We post all open Center positions, including student internships, here. We also cross-post opportunities in digital health in other departments at Duke. Check back here frequently for job and internship opportunities.
Clinical Research Coordinator
We’re seeking a full-time clinical research coordinator for an NIH (NIDDK) R01-funded trial of a digital weight loss treatment for adults. The 4-year trial will enroll more than 400 individuals with obesity and expose them to a completely digital intervention developed at the Duke Digital Health Science Center (Duke Digital Health). This position will require knowledge and experience in intervention design, participant recruitment, retention, and research assistant supervision. The position requires excellent communication skills and comfort with digital health technologies. The clinical research coordinator will be based at Duke University and some local travel may be required. The position will be fully funded for a four-year term (ending January 2021).
- In collaboration with PI and other investigators, develop study intervention technologies.
- Architect and implement a plan to achieve high rates of participant recruitment and retention.
- Oversee implementation of the intervention.
- Train and supervise research assistant staff.
- Ensure the standardized implementation of intervention protocols.
- Develop data collection and process tracking instruments.
- Assist PI and Co-Is to manage the project’s budget.
- Work with the investigator team on manuscript preparation.
- Maintain required project documentation.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Masters or Ph.D. in psychology, public health, health education, nutrition or a related field.
- 1-3 years related experience in a research or clinical setting. Priority will be given to those with intervention research experience.
- Knowledge and/or experience in diet/nutrition, weight loss, and/or physical activity is a plus.
- Must be detail-oriented, extremely organized, and willing to work with tight timelines and high expectations.
- Comfort with digital health technologies.
- Strong interpersonal skills and comfort working with participants from sociodemographically-diverse backgrounds.
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with education and experience. A comprehensive benefit package is offered. Please email a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Research Dietitian at our partner Piedmont Health
Performs a variety of responsible tasks involving counseling of individuals and families in nutrition
principals, diet, food selection, and economics. Determine WIC Program eligibility based on the income
as well as medical and nutrition risk identified. Determines risk codes, based on assessment and
information presented. Determines continuing eligibility for month issuance of food instruments.
Provides client education regarding voucher issuance and usage and the certification process. Makes
client referrals for a variety of services, internally and externally. May also coordinate clinic flow and
take anthropometric measurements per WIC guidelines. Floats from 5 WIC sites as WIC Nutritionist
including: Siler City, Moncure, Carrboro and Prospect Hill Community Health Centers and the Orange
County Health Department. Works as a Research Dietitian providing nutrition and physical activity
counseling using motivational interviewing techniques. Provides counseling via text and phone calls.
Works in collaboration with Duke Digital Health Sciences’ research team.
Minimum Education and Experience: Graduation from a Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education- approved Didactic Program in Dietetics; or Dietetic Technician, Registered with the Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education with a Bachelor’s degree in any subject area from an accredited four-year college or university. Bilingual English/Spanish required.
Patient Population Served: Ethnically and racially diverse population of pregnant, breastfeeding, postpartum women, infants and young children and all family members.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions: Requires frequent sitting for long periods, operation of standard office machines and computer. May require lifting of up to 25 pounds. Requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity. Requires use of office equipment, such as computer terminals, telephones or copiers. Requires normal vision range. Work is performed in an office environment. Contact with staff and external clients and vendors.
For more information and to apply visit http://bit.ly/2qMN6Hg.
Clinical Research Specialist, Sr.
**Position is similar to a Research Assistant**
The Duke Global Digital Health Science Center seeks to hire a full-time Clinical Research Specialist for the center. The CRS will initially work on two weight-management intervention studies. One study is conducted among adults receiving medical care at community health centers in central North Carolina. The other study is conducted among adults in Durham and surrounding areas who are interested in a text message-based weight loss program. Both interventions include telephone-based support to men and women with obesity to help them make healthy changes in diet, exercise and lifestyle. The CRS will be responsible for participant recruitment, retention, survey administration, data collection activities and management of data. The position may involve local travel to participating health centers in NC. Specific training will be provided. Fluency in Spanish and English required.
- Identify potential study participants via multiple methods (putting up flyers, managing social media ads, approaching participants in health centers, etc.)
- Recruit study participants and schedule initial and follow-up visits over the phone or at the study offices in Durham, NC
- Package and ship study materials to participants
- Collect physical measurements (weight, height, blood pressure)
- Administer surveys and monetary incentives to study participants
- Manage materials and equipment associated with data collection; troubleshoot equipment issues with participants, as needed
- Serve as a liaison between participating community health centers and project staff at the Duke Global Digital Health Science Center
- Maintain required documentation and adhere to project deadlines
- Adherence to protocols and completion of tasks within set deadlines is required
- Assist project staff in developing study protocols
For a full job description and/or to apply please visit http://bit.ly/2o4O19j.
Postdoctoral Fellowship – Duke Global Digital Health Science Center
The Duke Global Digital Health Science Center is seeking a full-time postdoctoral fellow. Founded in 2014, the Duke Digital Health is the first of its kind — an integrated research program for the discovery, evaluation, and dissemination of digital health obesity and behavior change interventions for medically vulnerable populations. Our mission is to close health disparities using digital health.
The postdoctoral fellow will work for up to two years, while being mentored by Center faculty – Drs. Gary Bennett and Dori Steinberg. We are particularly interested in applicants with expertise using any type of digital health intervention to address obesity and diet and physical activity behaviors. Ideally, the fellowship will begin in Summer 2017. The annual salary will be based on NIH guidelines. Successful applicants will have an earned doctorate (e.g., Ph.D., Sc.D., MD/MPH) in public health, nutrition, health behavior or a similar topic. U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status is necessary due to funding requirements. Working with his/her mentors, the fellow will be expected to contribute to the Center’s ongoing efforts, while pursuing independent research activities. The fellow will be provided with professional development funds and will have access to the Center’s software engineering team.
Review of applications will begin by March 15 and will continue until the position is filled. Applications should include a cover letter with a statement of research interests, curriculum vitae, 1-2 sample publications (if available), and names of two references, ideally from the training director or doctoral committee chairperson/advisor. Submit questions and applications (as one PDF) to email@example.com. For more information about the Duke Global Digital Health Science Center, please visit www.dukedigitalhealth.org.
DGHI/Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual’s age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.